Do you know why we celebrate Fathers Day?
So you are planning to make this Father’s day special for your real hero! But do you know from where this idea popped up?
The credit of introducing Fathers Day goes to Sonora Smart Dodd from Spokane, Washington. She wanted to honor her single father. She approached to YMCA Spokane to acknowledge her request to mark her dad’s birthday as Fathers Day. The first Fathers Day was celebrated on 19th June 1909. The idea of celebrating fatherhood spread across. Father’s day is now officially celebrated on every third Sunday in June.
It’s time to thank your dad, for being your role model. Take a day off, spend time with him, pamper him and tell him that you love him.
Some interesting facts about Fathers Day:
1) Historians found a 4,000 year-old card made of clay by a Babylonian boy named Elmesu. On the card, there was a wish and good health for his father. This is considered to be the first Fathers Day card.
2) Father MC, an American rapper released an album titled Father’s Day in 1990. It included his top 20 single I’ll Do 4 U, featuring Mary J Blige on vocals.
3) In Spain and Portugal, fathers are honored on St. Joseph's Day, March 19. In Australia, it's the first Sunday in September.
4) In Thailand, the King's Birthday is celebrated as National Father's Day. This day includes fireworks and acts of charity and honor .The activities also include donation of blood and the liberation of captive animals.
5) In 16th century, the word “dad” got its first mention. Its origin might have come from the Welsh word ‘tad’ (father) that was changed to dad. The word ‘father’ is basically derived from the Old English word - ‘foeder’.
Now, if someone asks you anything about Fathers Day, you know what to say.